Melasma is a skin condition that causes brown or grey patches to appear on either the face or parts of the body frequently exposed to the sun, such as the neck or forearms. More common among women – especially when they are expecting (melasma is sometimes known as the ‘mask of pregnancy’) – people with darker skin, or those with a blood relative who also suffers from melasma, its cause is not clear.
What starts melasma?
Some common triggers for melasma seem to be:
- The change of hormones brings on a type of melasma called chloasma. The contraceptive pill and hormone replacement medicine can also trigger melasma due to a change in hormones.
- Sun exposure. The sun’s UV rays stimulate melanocytes (the skin’s colour-making cells), which is why melasma is often worse in summer. Just a small amount of sun exposure can bring melasma back, time and time again.
- Incorrect usage of products, or applying products not suitable for your skin type, can cause irritation, worsening any melasma.
Is there a cure for melasma?
As with any medical condition, it’s best to get under the care of a healthcare professional right away. However a few common sense tips include:
- Sun protection. Wear sunscreen every day and re-apply it every couple of hours. Always wear a wide-brimmed hat and appropriate clothing, seek shade and avoid sun exposure between the hours of 11am – 4pm.
- Topical medications. These include dermatologist-prescribed creams, lotions, gels or liquids, often with hydroquinone, tretinoin or azelaic acid.
- Cosmetic procedures. Treatments such as chemical peels, microdermabrasion, LED therapy or laser facials are optimal ways to reduce the appearance of melasma.
Can Ozmedica treat melasma?
The treatment provided at Ozmedica Clinic is known for having genuine, long-lasting impacts on melasma.
We have successfully treated hundreds of clients who suffer from melasma, and they have found our treatments to be non-intrusive, dependable and uncomplicated.
All our treatment methods are nonsurgical and conducted in a safe environment with world-class standards. Only qualified professionals will carry out the processes and advanced treatment options. Our focus is on total skin rejuvenation in a caring and good-natured setting.
Book in your free skin consultation and say goodbye to melasma today.
We are closer to the suburbs Malvern, Caulfield, Brighton, Glen Iris, Hawthorn, Camberwell, Canterbury, Surrey Hills, Boxhill, Chadstone, Glen Waverly, Clayton, Springvale, Dandenong, Narre Warren, Ringwood, Croydon, Lilydale, Preston, Melbourne City and any suburbs in between.